- The definition of reptile is of or like any coldblooded creature in the class Reptilia, which is characterized by having lungs, a bony skeleton, scales or horny plates on the body and a heart with a single ventricle and two atria.
An example of reptile used as an adjective is in the phrase "reptile purse," which means a purse that looks like the skin or is made of the skin of such a creature.
- Reptile is defined as any coldblooded creature in the class Reptilia, which is characterized by having lungs, a bony skeleton, scales or horny plates on the body and a heart with a single ventricle and two atria, or a mean, sneaky person.
- An example of a reptile is a lizard.
- An example of a reptile is a cruel person.
- any of a class (Reptilia) of typically coldblooded vertebrates having lungs, an entirely bony skeleton, a body covered with scales or horny plates, and a heart with two atria and, usually, a single ventricle, including the snakes, lizards, turtles, crocodiles, and dinosaurs
- a mean, sneaky, groveling person
Origin of reptileEcclesiastical Late Latin from neuter of Classical Latin reptilis, crawling from reptus, past participle of repere, to creep from Indo-European base an unverified form r?p-, to creep, crawl from source Lithuanian réplioti, to creep, Old High German rebo, tendril
Origin of reptileL reptilis
- Any of various usually cold-blooded egg-laying vertebrates often grouped in the class Reptilia, having dry skin covered with scales or horny plates and breathing by means of lungs, and including the snakes, lizards, crocodilians, and turtles. In some classification systems, birds are considered to be reptiles because they are descended from reptilian dinosaurs.
- A person regarded as contemptible or obsequious.
Origin of reptileMiddle English reptil from Old French reptile from Late Latin rēptile from neuter of Latin rēptilis creeping from rēptus past participle of rēpere to creep
- See also reptile
- Creeping; moving on the belly, or by means of small and short legs.
- Grovelling; low; vulgar.
- a reptile race or crew; reptile vices