- Serpentine is defined as someone or something like a snake, or coiled and twisted like a snake.
- An example of serpentine is the character Voldemort from the Harry Potter series.
- An example of serpentine is a rope that's coiled like a snake.
- The definition of a serpentine is a dark green gemstone that contains light green speckles.
An example of a serpentine is a popular stone made into beads and used for jewelry.
serpentine definition by Webster's New World
- evilly cunning or subtle; treacherous
- coiled or twisted; winding
Origin: Middle English serpentyn ; from Old French serpentin ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin serpentinus
- something that twists or coils like a snake, as a coil of thin paper thrown out to unwind as a streamer
Origin: from resemblance to a serpent's skina rock or mineral, as chrysotile, consisting chiefly of hydrous magnesium silicate and having a greenish, often mottled, coloring
serpentine definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of or resembling a serpent, as in form or movement; sinuous.
- Subtly sly and tempting.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French serpentin, from Late Latin serpentīnus, from Latin serpēns, serpent-, serpent; see Serpent .
serpentine - Science Definition