- The definition of vertebrate is something related to the bones in your back or spine.
When you damage the bones in the back, this is an example of a time when you experience vertebrate injuries.
- The definition of a vertebrate is an animal that has a backbone or spinal column.
A bird that has a backbone is an example of a vertebrate.
- having a backbone, or spinal column
- of or belonging to the vertebrates
Origin of vertebrateClassical Latin vertebratus from vertebra: see vertebra
- Having a backbone or spinal column.
- Of or characteristic of vertebrates or a vertebrate.
Origin of vertebrateLatin vertebrātus having joints from vertebra vertebra ; see vertebra .
- Having a backbone.
- An animal having a backbone.
- See also vertebrate