- of or for the mind or intellect: mental powers, mental aids
- done by, or carried on in, the mind (i.e., without using written symbols): mental arithmetic
- of, having, or related to mental illness or any psychiatric disorder: a mental patient, mental health
- Slang mentally deranged; insane: often in the phrase go mental
- for the mentally ill: a mental hospital
- having to do with mind reading, telepathy, etc.
Origin of mentalMiddle English from Middle French from Late Latin mentalis from Classical Latin mens (gen. mentis), mind