- the act or process of perceiving sounds
- the sense by which sounds are perceived
- an opportunity to speak, sing, etc.; chance to be heard
- a court appearance before a judge or court referee, other than an actual formal trial
- a formal meeting, as of an investigative body or legislative committee, before which evidence is presented, testimony is given, etc.
- the distance that a sound, esp. that of the unaided voice, will carry: to be within hearing
Origin of hearingMiddle English heringe: see hear