The definition of a coterie is a group of people with similar interests.
An example of a coterie is a group of athletes.
a close circle of friends who share a common interest or background; clique
Origin of coterieFr, origin, originally , organization of peasants holding land from a feudal lord from Old French cotier, cotter
A small, often select group of persons who associate with one another frequently.
Origin of coterieFrench from Old French peasant association from cotier cottager from cote cottage possibly of Germanic origin
- A circle of people who associate with one another.
- The new junior employee joined our merry after-hours coterie.
- An exclusive group of people, who associate closely for a common purpose; a clique.
- A tightly-knit coterie of executive powerbrokers made all the real decisions in the company.
- A communal burrow of prairie dogs.
- The coterie was located in the middle of our wheat field.