- The definition of a club is a heavy stick, generally used as a weapon, or a group of people who common together for a common interest, or a place where people dance and drink at night.
- An example of a club is what a caveman may have carried as a weapon.
- An example of a club is a group of high school artists who meet after school to draw.
- An example of a club is a place with a bar and dancing space.
- Club is defined as to beat, or to join together for a common purpose.
- An example of club is to hit someone with a stick.
- An example of club is to join together with other chess lovers.
club definition by Webster's New World
- a heavy stick, usually thinner at one end, used as a weapon
- anything used to threaten or coerce
- golf club
- Indian club
- a group of people associated for a common purpose or mutual advantage, usually in an organization that meets regularly
- the room, building, or facilities used by such a group
- an organization that owns, controls, or sponsors an athletic team
- the team playing for or representing such an organization
- a nightclub
- any of a suit of playing cards marked with black figures shaped like a cloverleaf (♣)
- this suit of cards
Origin: Middle English clubbe ; from Old Norse klubba, cudgel ; from Indo-European an unverified form geleb(h)- ; from base an unverified form gel-, form a ball from source climb, calf
- to beat or strike as with a club
- to combine or pool (resources, etc.) for a common purpose
- to unite for a common purpose
- to use (a rifle or the like) as a club by hitting with the butt end
- to unite or combine for a common purpose
- Rare to form into a clublike mass
club definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A stout heavy stick, usually thicker at one end, suitable for use as a weapon; a cudgel.
- Sports An implement used in some games to drive a ball, especially a stick with a protruding head used in golf.
- Games a. A black figure shaped like a trefoil or clover leaf on certain playing cards.b. A playing card with this figure.c. clubs (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The suit of cards represented by this figure.
- A group of people organized for a common purpose, especially a group that meets regularly: a garden club.
- The building, room, or other facility used for the meetings of an organized group.
- Sports An athletic team or organization.
- A nightclub.
- To strike or beat with or as if with a club.
- To use (a firearm) as a club by holding the barrel and hitting with the butt end.
- To gather or combine (hair, for example) into a clublike mass.
- To contribute to a joint or common purpose.
Origin: Middle English, from Old Norse klubba.