- The definition of a bludgeon is a thick heavy club typically used as a weapon.
A nightstick used to beat someone is an example of a bludgeon.
- Bludgeon is defined as to use force or bullying to get someone to do what you want, or to beat someone repeatedly with a heavy object or stick.
- When you yell at someone and bully him until he gives into your whims, this is an example of when you bludgeon him into submission.
- When you use a baseball bat to beat someone until he is unconscious, this is an example of when you bludgeon him.
Origin of bludgeonuncertain or unknown; perhaps altered ; from Middle French bougeon, diminutive of bouge, a club
- to strike with or as with a bludgeon
- to bully or coerce
transitive verbbludg·eoned, bludg·eon·ing, bludg·eons
- To hit with a heavy club or similar blunt instrument.
- To strike with strong force: “The fields were often baked by the sun and bludgeoned by savage thunderstorms” (Linda Hasselstrom).
- To overcome, often by intimidation or coercion.
Origin of bludgeonOrigin unknown.
- bludg′eon·er, bludg′eon·eer′
(third-person singular simple present bludgeons, present participle bludgeoning, simple past and past participle bludgeoned)