- The definition of a clique is a small, closed off group of people.
The popular group in high school is an example of a clique.
Origin of cliqueFrench ; from Old French cliquer, to make a noise: of echoic origin, originally
intransitive verbcliqued, cliqu·ing, cliques Informal
Origin of cliqueFrench, from Old French, latch or from obsolete French cliquer, to click, clink, of imitative origin.
- cliqu′ey, cliqu′y, cliqu′ish
- A small, exclusive group of individuals; cabal
- This school used to be really friendly, but now everyone keeps to their own cliques.
- (graph theory) A subgraph isomorphic to a complete graph.
- The problem of finding the largest clique in an arbitrary graph is NP-complete.
- (Internet) A group of related web sites that link to each other, like a webring but with exclusive membership determined by the clique owner.
(third-person singular simple present cliques, present participle cliquing, simple past and past participle cliqued)
- Often used in the form clique together.