- The definition of a clan is a close-knit group who are related or who share a strong common interest.
- The Jones family and all of the descendants of that family are an example of the Jones clan.
- A group of artists who live together in a communal house and who share an interest in abstract art are an example of a clan of artists.
clan definition by Webster's New World
- an early form of social group, as in the Scottish Highlands, composed of several families claiming descent from a common ancestor, bearing the same family name, and following the same chieftain
- in certain primitive societies, a tribal division, usually exogamous, of matrilineal or patrilineal descent from a common ancestor
- a group of people with interests in common; clique; set
- Informal family (sense )
Origin: Gaelic and amp; Irish clann, cland, offspring, tribe ; from Classical Latin planta, offshoot: see plant
clan definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A traditional social unit in the Scottish Highlands, consisting of a number of families claiming a common ancestor and following the same hereditary chieftain.
- A division of a tribe tracing descent from a common ancestor.
- A large group of relatives, friends, or associates.
Origin: Middle English, from Scottish Gaelic clann, family, from Old Irish cland, offspring, from Latin planta, plant, sprout; see plat- in Indo-European roots.