The definition of communal is something shared or decided by all members of a given community.adjective
When there is a closet full of clothes that belong to everyone in a group, this is an example of a closet that would be described as a communal closet.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- of a commune or communes
- of or belonging to the community; shared, or participated in, by all; public
- designating or of social or economic organization in which there is common ownership of property
Origin: ME & OFr < LL communalis
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of or relating to a commune.
- Of or relating to a community.
- a. Of, belonging to, or shared by the people of a community; public.b. Marked by collective ownership and control of goods and property.
Origin: French, from Late Latin commūnālis, from Latin commūnis, common; see Common .
- comˌmu·nalˈi·ty noun
- com·muˈnal·ly adverb