- The definition of a maverick is an unbranded animal or someone who doesn’t follow a group’s rules.
An example of a maverick is a film director who makes a movie that is completely new and original.
- an unbranded animal, esp. a strayed calf
- Informal a person who takes an independent stand, as in politics, from that of a party or group
Origin: after S. Maverick (1803-70), Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An unbranded range animal, especially a calf that has become separated from its mother, traditionally considered the property of the first person who brands it.
- One that refuses to abide by the dictates of or resists adherence to a group; a dissenter.
Origin: Possibly after Samuel Augustus Maverick (1803-1870), American cattleman who left the calves in his herd unbranded .
maverick - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.