- a person who does not act in conformity with generally accepted beliefs and practices
- [N-] a British Protestant who does not belong to the Anglican Church; Dissenter
This guy is a nonconformist.
The definition of a nonconformist is a person who refuses to adhere to established social orders or to fulfill the expectations placed on him by custom or society.
A free-thinking hippie who refuses to get a conventional job is an example of a nonconformist.
not following established customs, beliefs, etc.
- One who does not conform to, or refuses to be bound by, accepted beliefs, customs, or practices.
- often Nonconformist A member of a Protestant church not observing the doctrines, usage, or polity of a national or established church, especially the Church of England.
- There are about thirty nonconformist chapels, in nearly a third of which the services are Welsh.
- GEORGE BURDER (1752-1832), English Nonconformist divine, was born in London on the 5th of June 1752.
- JOSEPH PRIESTLEY (1733-1804), English chemist and Nonconformist minister, was born on the 13th of March 1733 at Fieldhead, a hamlet near Birstal in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
- The Marriage Act 1898 dispensed with the necessity of the attendance of a registrar at marriages celebrated at a nonconformist place of worship, substituting in place thereof a person duly authorized by the trustees of the place of worship, if the persons intending to be married so desire; but the parties may, if they wish, still require the presence of the registrar.
- The church of St Martin was built in 1879, and there are Nonconformist chapels.