Mount Greenwood Lutheran Church, Chicago, Illinois
- Protestant is defined as something related to a western Christian religion that follows the principles of the Reformation and that has broken with the Roman Catholic Church.
A Lutheran church is an example of a Protestant church.
- The definition of a Protestant is a member of a Western Christian religion that follows the principles of the Reformation and that has broken with the Roman Catholic Church, or a person who protests.
A member of a Lutheran church is an example of a Protestant.
- any of the German princes and free cities that formally protested to the Diet of Spires (1529) its decision to uphold the edict of the Diet of Worms against the Reformation
- any member of the various Christian churches established as a result of the Reformation
- loosely any Christian not belonging to the Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox Church
- a person who protests
Origin of ProtestantFrench ; from German ; from Classical Latin protestans, present participle of protestari: see protest
- of Protestants or Protestant beliefs, practices, etc.
- A member of a Western Christian church whose faith and practice are founded on the principles of the Reformation, especially in the acceptance of the Bible as the sole source of revelation, in justification by faith alone, and in the universal priesthood of all the believers.
- A member of a Western Christian church adhering to the theologies of Luther, Calvin, or Zwingli.
- One of the German princes or cities that supported the doctrines of Luther and protested against the decision of the second Diet of Speyer (1529) to enforce the Edict of Worms (1521) and deny toleration to Lutherans.
- protestant One who makes a declaration or avowal.
Origin of ProtestantFrench, from German, from Latin pr&omacron;testans, pr&omacron;testant-, present participle of pr&omacron;testar&imacron;, to protest; see protest.
(comparative more protestant, superlative most protestant)
- Alternative capitalization of Protestant
- a protestant effort
- protestant work ethic
- (Christianity) Any of several denominations of Christianity that separated from the Roman Catholic Church based on theological or political differences during the Reformation.
- (Christianity) Someone who is a member of such a denomination.
- (Christianity) A modern Christian denomination not belonging to the Catholic or Orthodox traditions.
(comparative more Protestant, superlative most Protestant)
From French protestant.