- The definition of a patriarchy is a system of society where the men are the head-of-the-household, carry the most power and where the family lineage passes on through men.
- An example of a patriarchy society is where men hold the control and make all the rules and women stay home and care for the kids.
- An example of a patriarchy is when the family name comes from the man in the family.
- patriarchic adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. pa·tri·ar·chies In both senses also called patriarchate.
- A social system in which the father is the head of the family and men have authority over women and children.
- A family, community, or society based on this system or governed by men.
patriarchy - Cultural Definition
A family or society in which authority is vested in males, through whom descent and inheritance are traced. (See also matriarchy and primogeniture.)