- The definition of a patriarchy is a system of society where the men are the head-of-the-household, carry the most power and where the family lineage passes on through men.
- An example of a patriarchy society is where men hold the control and make all the rules and women stay home and care for the kids.
- An example of a patriarchy is when the family name comes from the man in the family.
patriarchy definition by Webster's New World
noun pl. patriarchies
- a form of social organization in which the father or the eldest male is recognized as the head of the family or tribe, descent and kinship being traced through the male line
- government, rule, or domination by men, as in a family or tribe
Origin: Classical Greek patriarchia: see patriarch
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- patriarchic adjective
patriarchy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
noun pl. pa·tri·ar·chies In both senses also called patriarchate.
- A social system in which the father is the head of the family and men have authority over women and children.
- A family, community, or society based on this system or governed by men.
patriarchy - Cultural Definition
A family or society in which authority is vested in males, through whom descent and inheritance are traced. (See also matriarchy and primogeniture.)