- Reliance is defined as trust or something trusted.
An example of a reliance is a close confidante.
- the act of relying
- trust, dependence, or confidence
- a thing relied on
- The act of relying or the state of being reliant: the economy's reliance on imported oil.
- The faith, confidence, or trust felt by one who relies: The general placed his reliance on the element of surprise. See Synonyms at trust.
- Archaic One relied on; a mainstay.
(countable and uncountable, plural reliances)
- careline, cinereal
reliance - Legal Definition
Dependence; trust; confidence in the support of someone or something.detrimental reliance
The relying by one party on the representations of another to the detriment of the first party’s position or welfare. It may be a cause for bringing an action for recovery of damages due to fraud. See estoppel.