- The definition of inspect is to carefully look over someone or something, especially to determine if minimum criteria or standards are met.
When you are checking how well someone dusted and you use a white glove to run it along surfaces to test whether the dusting was done well, this is an example of when you inspect the dusting.
A mechanic inspects an automobile.
inspect definition by Webster's New World
- to look at carefully; examine critically, esp. in order to detect flaws, errors, etc.
- to examine or review (troops, etc.) officially
Origin: Classical Latin inspectare, frequentative ; from inspectus, past participle of inspicere, to look into, examine ; from in-, in, at plush specere, to look at: see spy
- inspective noun
inspect definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb in·spect·ed, in·spect·ing, in·spects
- To examine carefully and critically, especially for flaws.
- To review or examine officially: The commander inspected the troops.
Origin: From Latin īnspicere, īnspect- : in-, intensive pref.; see in-2 + specere, to look at; see spek- in Indo-European roots.
- in·specˈtive adjective