A mechanic inspects an automobile.
- The definition of inspect is to carefully look over someone or something, especially to determine if minimum criteria or standards are met.
When you are checking how well someone dusted and you use a white glove to run it along surfaces to test whether the dusting was done well, this is an example of when you inspect the dusting.
- to look at carefully; examine critically, esp. in order to detect flaws, errors, etc.
- to examine or review (troops, etc.) officially
Origin of inspectClassical Latin inspectare, frequentative ; from inspectus, past participle of inspicere, to look into, examine ; from in-, in, at + specere, to look at: see spy
transitive verbin·spect·ed, in·spect·ing, in·spects
- To examine carefully and critically, especially for flaws.
- To review or examine officially: The commander inspected the troops.
Origin of inspectFrom Latin īnspicere, īnspect- : in-, intensive pref.; see in–2 + specere, to look at; see spek- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present inspects, present participle inspecting, simple past and past participle inspected)
From Latin inspectum, past participle of inspicere (“to look into”), from in + spicere (“to look at”)