To delve is defined as to jump into researching something or to dig around looking for something.verb
- When you jump into researching the question of global warming, this is an example of a situation where you delve into the topic.
- When you dig around in your purse to try to find your wallet, this is an example of a situation where you delve into your purse.
- Chiefly Brit., Now Dial. to dig with a spade
- to investigate for information; search (into books, the past, etc.)
Origin: ME delven < OE delfan, to dig, akin to OHG (bi)telban, Du delven < IE base *dhelbh-, to dig out > Czech dlubu, to hollow out
- delver noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb delved delved, delv·ing, delves verb, intransitive
- To search deeply and laboriously: delved into the court records.
- To dig the ground, as with a spade.
Origin: Middle English delven, to dig, from Old English delfan.
- delvˈer noun