- The definition of a colonist is someone who was an original settler in a colony or currently lives in a colony.
- William Bradford of the Plymouth Colony is an example of a founding American colonist.
- Those living in the New Zealand colony Tokelau are examples of colonists.
colonist definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- any of the original settlers or founders of a colony
- an inhabitant of a colony
colonist definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An original settler or founder of a colony.
- An inhabitant of a colony.