- William Bradford of the Plymouth Colony is an example of a founding American colonist.
- Those living in the New Zealand colony Tokelau are examples of colonists.
The definition of a colonist is someone who was an original settler in a colony or currently lives in a colony.
- any of the original settlers or founders of a colony
- an inhabitant of a colony
- An original settler or founder of a colony.
- An inhabitant of a colony.
- A person who is a founder of a colony.
- An original member of a colony.
colon(y) + -ist