- a soldier employed in digging saps
- a soldier employed in setting or disarming mines
- a person or thing that saps (in various senses)
- A military engineer who specializes in sapping and other field fortification activities.
- A military engineer who lays, detects, and disarms mines.
Origin of sapperFrom sap 2
- One who saps; specifically, one who is employed in working at saps, building and repairing fortifications, and the like. Often known as a combat engineer or military engineer.
- (UK, colloquial) an officer or private of the Royal Engineers.
sap +"Ž -er