- A contest to determine the finalists in a competition.
- An event that precedes the main event, especially in boxing or wrestling.
- An academic examination taken before a longer, more complex, or more important examination.
- An introductory remark made before a speech, presentation, or meeting.
An example of a preliminary act is a drug screen that happens before a new employee is hired.
Other Word Forms
Origin of preliminary
- From New Latin praelīmināris Latin prae- pre- Latin līmen līmin- threshold
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition