- Pretension is defined as a reason for something or a claim to something, or is something done to impress others.
An example of pretension is when you act as if you are intellectually superior and have more money than others around you.
- Pretension is to apply tension to something before a process or event.
An example of pretension is when a safety mechanism for tree climbing equipment applies tension to the rope pulley before a fall.
pretension definition by Webster's New World
- a pretext or allegation
- a claim, as to a right, title, distinction, etc.
- assertion of a claim
- pretentiousness; ostentation
Origin: Midieval Latin praetensio ; from praetensus: see pretense
pretension definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A specious allegation; a pretext.
- A claim to something, such as a privilege or right. See Synonyms at claim.
- The advancing of a claim.
- Ostentatious display; pretentiousness.