- The definition of honesty is the quality of being truthful.
An example of honesty is telling the truth even after doing something wrong.
honesty definition by Webster's New World
- the state or quality of being honest; specif.,
- Obsolete honor
- a refraining from lying, cheating, or stealing; a being truthful, trustworthy, or upright
- sincerity; fairness; straightforwardness
- Archaic chastity
- any of a genus (Lunaria) of plants of the crucifer family, with purple and white flowers and large, flat, oval pods; esp., a plant (L. annua) whose pods are used in winter bouquets
Origin: Middle English honeste ; from Old French honesté ; from Classical Latin honestas ; from honestus
honesty definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. hon·es·ties
- The quality or condition of being honest; integrity.
- Truthfulness; sincerity: in all honesty.
- Archaic Chastity.
- Botany A European plant (Lunaria annua) cultivated for its fragrant purplish flowers and round, flat, papery, silver-white seedpods. Also called money plant, satin flower, silver dollar.