- The definition of worth is excellence, usefulness or value.
An example of worth is a person with superior charm.
- Worth is defined as having value, whether in money or otherwise.
An example of worth is a house being valued at $500,000.
worth definition by Webster's New World
- material value, esp. as expressed in terms of money or some other medium of exchange
- that quality of a person or thing that lends importance, value, merit, etc. and that is measurable by the esteem in which the person or thing is held
- the amount or quantity of something that may be had for a given sum: a dollar's worth of nuts
- wealth; possessions; riches
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English weorth, akin to weorthian, to honor, German wert, worth, werden, to become ; from Indo-European an unverified form wert-, to turn: see verse
- deserving or worthy of; meriting: not worth the effort
- equal in worth or value to: a book that is worth $50
- having wealth or possessions amounting to: a man worth half a million
Origin: Middle English worthen ; from Old English weorthan, to become, used as auxiliary of the passive voice , akin to German werden: see worth
worth definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The quality that renders something desirable, useful, or valuable: the worth of higher education.
- Material or market value: stocks having a worth of ten million dollars.
- A quantity of something that may be purchased for a specified sum or by a specified means: ten dollars' worth of natural gas; wanted their money's worth.
- Wealth; riches: her net worth.
- Quality that commands esteem or respect; merit: a person of great worth.
- Equal in value to something specified: worth its weight in gold.
- Deserving of; meriting: a proposal not worth consideration.
- Having wealth or riches amounting to: a person worth millions.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English weorth; see wer-2 in Indo-European roots.
intransitive verb worthed, worth·ing, worths Archaic
Origin: Middle English worthen, from Old English weorthan; see wer-2 in Indo-European roots.
worth - Business Definition
worth - Legal Definition
- The value of something, expressed in monetary terms; all of a thing’s qualities that make it useful and valuable, expressed in terms of a medium of exchange.
- The total monetary value of a person.
- The sentimental value of something; emotional value.
worth - Phrases/Idioms
for all one is worthâ
for all (one) is worth
for what it's worth