- An example of goodness is volunteering to serve meals at a homeless shelter.
- An example of goodness is the nutritious skin on a vegetable.
The definition of goodness is kindness, generosity or beneficial.
- the state or quality of being good; specif.,
- virtue; excellence
- kindness; generosity; benevolence
- the best part, essence, or valuable element of a thing
Origin of goodnessMiddle English goodnesse from Old English godnes
used to express surprise or wonder: orig. a euphemism for God: also used in phrases: for goodness' sake!
- The state or quality of being good.
- The beneficial or nutritious part.
Used to express mild surprise.
agathism the belief that all things incline toward the good. —agathist, n. agathology the doctrine or science of the good. —agathologic, agathological, adj. do-goodism attitudes or actions of well-intentioned but sometimes ineffectual people, especially in the area of social reform. theodicy the vindication of the goodness of God in the face of the existence of evil. —theodicean, adj.
(countable and uncountable, plural goodnesses)
good + -ness