- The state of being corrupt.
Variant of corrupt
- Obsolete changed from a sound condition to an unsound one; spoiled; contaminated; rotten
- deteriorated from the normal or standard; specif.,
- morally unsound or debased; perverted; evil; depraved
- taking bribes; venal
- containing alterations, errors, or admixtures of foreignisms: said of texts, languages, etc.
Origin of corruptMiddle English ; from Classical Latin corruptus, past participle of corrumpere, to destroy, spoil, bribe ; from com-, together + rumpere, to break: see rupture
to make or become corrupt