- Deceit is defined as the act of being dishonest using a trick or telling a lie.
An example of deceit is someone lying on a job application.
deceit definition by Webster's New World
- the act of representing as true what is known to be false; a deceiving or lying
- a dishonest action or trick; fraud or lie
- the quality of being deceitful
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French deceite ; from past participle of deceveir: see deceive
deceit definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or practice of deceiving; deception.
- A stratagem; a trick.
- The quality of being deceitful; falseness.
Origin: Middle English deceite, from Old French, from past participle of deceveir, to deceive; see deceive.
deceit - Legal Definition