The definition of swollen is something enlarged because of pressure from the inside pushing out.
An example of swollen is an ankle after it has been injured.
alt. pp. of swell
increased in volume or size, as from inner pressure; blown up; distended; bulging
A past participle of swell
- Expanded by or as if by internal pressure; distended: a swollen toe.
- Overblown; bombastic: swollen rhetoric.
swollen - Medical Definition
Expanded by or as if by internal pressure; distended: a swollen toe.
- Her feet felt swollen and fiery.
- Half an hour later, her eyes swollen and her chest sore from sobbing, she turned her face up to the warm water in the shower.
- He touched his swollen lip.
- The large man gasped for air, his eye swollen already.
- Mrs. Marsh's face was white, and her eyes red and swollen, with dark circles under them.