- An example of someone insolent is a student who talks back to a teacher.
- An example of someone insolent is a criminal who acts up during a trial.
Insolent is defined as disrespectful or arrogant.
- boldly disrespectful in speech or behavior; impertinent; impudent
- Now Rare arrogantly contemptuous; overbearing
Origin of insolentMiddle English from Classical Latin insolens from in-, in- + solens, present participle of solere, to be accustomed
- Audaciously rude or disrespectful; impertinent or impudent.
- Archaic Presumptuous and insulting in manner or speech; arrogant.
Origin of insolentMiddle English from Latin īnsolēns īnsolent- immoderate, arrogant in- not ; see in- 1. solēns present participle of solēre to be accustomed
(comparative more insolent, superlative most insolent)