- Insolent is defined as disrespectful or arrogant.
- An example of someone insolent is a student who talks back to a teacher.
- An example of someone insolent is a criminal who acts up during a trial.
- boldly disrespectful in speech or behavior; impertinent; impudent
- Now Rare arrogantly contemptuous; overbearing
Origin: Middle English from Classical Latin insolens from in-, in- plush solens, present participle of solere, to be accustomed
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Presumptuous and insulting in manner or speech; arrogant.
- Audaciously rude or disrespectful; impertinent.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin īnsolēns, īnsolent-, immoderate, arrogant : in-, not; see in-1 + solēns, present participle of solēre, to be accustomed.
- inˈso·lent noun
- inˈso·lent·ly adverb