- An example of someone insolent is a student who talks back to a teacher.
- An example of someone insolent is a criminal who acts up during a trial.
Insolent is defined as disrespectful or arrogant.
- boldly disrespectful in speech or behavior; impertinent; impudent
- Now Rare arrogantly contemptuous; overbearing
Origin of insolentMiddle English ; from Classical Latin insolens ; from in-, in- + solens, present participle of solere, to be accustomed
- Audaciously rude or disrespectful; impertinent or impudent.
- Archaic Presumptuous and insulting in manner or speech; arrogant.
Origin of insolentMiddle English, from Latin &imacron;nsol&emacron;ns, &imacron;nsolent-, immoderate, arrogant : in-, not; see in–1 + sol&emacron;ns, present participle of sol&emacron;re, to be accustomed.
(comparative more insolent, superlative most insolent)