- The definition of an introvert is a person who has more interest in themselves than others or has difficulty relating to people outside of themselves.
An example of introvert is someone who sits in a corner alone not talking with anyone at a party.
- Introvert is defined as to direct one's attention upon oneself.
An example of introvert is someone meditating during a stressful situation.
- to direct (one's interest, mind, or attention) upon oneself; introspect
- to bend (something) inward
- Zool. to draw (a tubular organ or part) inward upon itself, commonly by invagination
Origin of introvertModern Latin introvertere from Classical Latin intro-, intro- + vertere, to turn: see verse
- a thing, esp. a tubular organ or part, that can be introverted
- Psychol. someone characterized by introversion (sense )
- someone characterized by a tendency to be introspective and socially retiring
transitive verbin·tro·vert·ed, in·tro·vert·ing, in·tro·verts
- To turn or direct inward.
- Psychology To concentrate (one's interests) upon oneself.
- Medicine To turn (a tubular organ or part) inward upon itself.
- Psychology An introverted person.
- Medicine An anatomical structure that is capable of being introverted.
Origin of introvertintro- Latin vertere to turn ; see wer-2 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more introvert, superlative most introvert)