- any of a number of perennial or annual garden plants (genera Cheiranthus and Erysimum) of the crucifer family, having racemes of cross-shaped flowers, usually yellow or orange; esp., a common perennial (C. cheiri) having racemes of fragrant, colorful flowers
- Informal a person, esp. a girl, who merely looks on at a dance, etc., sometimes from shyness but usually from not having been chosen as a partner
- The definition of a wallflower is a shy or uncomfortable person who doesn't participate in activities in social settings.
An example of a wallflower is a girl sitting by herself in a corner during a high school homecoming dance.
- The definition of a wallflower is a firm that has fallen out of favor.
An example of a wallflower is a company that is not asked to bid on the renewal of a contract which they currently hold.
- Any of various plants of the genus Erysimum of the mustard family, having fragrant yellow, orange, or brownish flowers, especially the widely cultivated species E. cheiri.
- One who does not participate in the activity at a social event because of shyness or unpopularity.
- A security, company, or industry that is out of favor with investors.
- Plants, many of which, such as wallflower, stock, mustard, cabbage, radish and others, are well-known garden or field-plants.
- When the fruit is several times longer than broad it is known as a siliqua, as in stock or wallflower; when about as long as broad, a silicula, as in shepherd's purse.
- Matthiola graeca (Wallflower-lvd.
- Cheiranthus Cheiri (Wallflower): hardy, 11 to 2 ft., red, purple, yellow, &c.; really a perennial but better as a biennial.
- Grandiflora; the double Bellis perennis or Daisy; the Wallflowers, including Cheiranthus Cheiri (the Common Wallflower), C. alpina and C. Marshallii; Hepaticas, the principal of which are the varieties of H.