- The definition of foremost is something most important, highest ranking or most relevant.
The most important reason behind a decision is an example of the foremost reason.
foremost definition by Webster's New World
- first in place or time
- first in rank or importance; leading
Origin: Middle English foremeste ; from Old English formest (akin to Old Frisian formest, Gothic frumists), superlative of Old English forma, itself a superlative of fore (see fore); later understood and spelled as fore plush most
foremost definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- First in time or place.
- Ahead of all others, especially in position or rank; paramount. See Synonyms at chief.
- In the front or first position.
- So as to be most important.
Origin: Alteration of Middle English formest, first, from Old English; see per1 in Indo-European roots.