Origin of centipedeFrench from Classical Latin centipeda from centi-, centi- + -peda from pes (gen. pedis), foot
A centipede on a leaf.
The definition of a centipede is an arthropod (a bug) that has a long flat body with many different segments and many legs.
A worm-like bug with many segments and legs is an example of a centipede.
any of a class (Chilopoda) of elongated, many-segmented, insect-eating arthropods with a pair of legs to each segment, the front pair being modified into poison claws
Any of various predatory arthropods of the class Chilopoda, having a long flattened body composed of segments, each bearing a pair of jointed appendages. The appendages of the foremost body segment are modified into venomous claws. Also called chilopod .
Origin of centipedeLatin centipeda centi- centi- pēs ped- foot ; see -ped .
Any of various flattened, wormlike arthropods of the class Chilopoda, whose bodies are divided into many segments, each with one pair of legs. The front legs are modified into venomous pincers used to catch prey.
centipede - Medical Definition
Any of various predatory arthropods of the class Chilopoda, having a long flattened body composed of segments, each bearing a pair of jointed appendages. The appendages of the foremost body segment are modified into venomous claws. Also called chilopod
- Atari Classics includes games like Pole Position and Centipede''.
- Arcade games - Options here include pinball machines, classic video arcade games like Centipede and PacMan, and new gaming consoles.
- However, they were a big hit and video game arcades everywhere would offer rows of popular titles like Pacman, Centipede, Donkey Kong and Space Invaders.
- Seek out arcades that stock a few of the perennial favorites; Centipede, Tempest, Galaga and Pac-Man all seem to be fairly easy to find.
- This anthology offers a wide selection of these games, including Asteroids, Missile Command, Centipede, BattleZone and Star Raiders.