- common to or representative of all or many parts of the world; not national or local
- not bound by local or national habits or prejudices; at home in all countries or places
- characterized by worldly sophistication; fashionable, urbane, etc.
- having a worldwide distribution, as some plants or animals
Origin of cosmopolitanfrom cosmopolite + -an
- a cosmopolitan person or thing; cosmopolite
- [alsoC-] a cocktail made of vodka, cranberry and lime juices, and orange liqueur, served in a martini glass