- Rural means relating to farming or country life.
An example of rural is a land of farms.
- The definition of a rural is a person who lives in the country.
An example of rural is a farmer.
rural definition by Webster's New World
- of or characteristic of the country, country life, or country people; rustic
- living in the country
- having to do with farming; agricultural
Origin: Middle English ; from Middle French ; from Late Latin ruralis ; from Classical Latin rus (gen. ruris), the country ; from Indo-European an unverified form rewos, space ; from base an unverified form rewe-, to open, room
- rurally adverb
rural definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of the country.
- Of or relating to people who live in the country: rural households.
- Of or relating to farming; agricultural.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin rūrālis, from rūs, rūr-, country; see reuə- in Indo-European roots.
- ruˈral·ly adverb