- Rural means relating to farming or country life.
An example of rural is a land of farms.
- The definition of a rural is a person who lives in the country.
An example of rural is a farmer.
- of or characteristic of the country, country life, or country people; rustic
- living in the country
- having to do with farming; agricultural
Origin of ruralMiddle English from Middle French from Late Latin ruralis from Classical Latin rus (gen. ruris), the country from Indo-European an unverified form rewos, space from base an unverified form rewe-, to open, room
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of the country.
- Of or relating to people who live in the country: rural households.
- Of or relating to farming; agricultural.
Origin of ruralMiddle English from Old French from Latin rūrālis from rūs rūr- country ; see reuə- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more rural, superlative most rural)
From Old French rural < Latin rÅ«rÄlis (“rural"), from rÅ«s (“countryside") + -Älis.