- The definition of a folk song is a song written by the common people or in the style of the common people.
An example of a folk song is a song sung by the Kingston Trio during the 1960's.
- a song made and handed down among the common people: folk songs are usually of anonymous authorship and often have many versions
- a song composed in the style of such a traditional song
Origin of folk songcalque of German volkslied, loan translated, translation (by Johann Gottfried von Herder, 1771) of eastern; English popular song
- folk singer
- A song belonging to the folk music of a people or area, often existing in several versions or with regional variations.
- A song composed in the style of traditional folk music.
(plural folk songs)