- The definition of a peasant is a country person, a farmer or a crude person.
- An example of a peasant is a person who grows vegetables for a living.
- An example of a peasant is someone who constantly uses foul language.
An elderly peasant woman.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- any person of the class of small farmers or of farm laborers, as in Europe or Asia
- a person regarded as coarse, boorish, ignorant, etc.
Origin: L Middle English paissaunt from Anglo-French paisant from Middle French païsent from Old French from païs, country from Late Latin pagensis, belonging to the district from pagus, district: see pagan
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A member of the class constituted by small farmers and tenants, sharecroppers, and laborers on the land where they form the main labor force in agriculture.
- A country person; a rustic.
- An uncouth, crude, or ill-bred person; a boor.
Origin: Middle English paissaunt, from Old French paisant, from pais, country, from Late Latin pāgēnsis, inhabitant of a district, from Latin pāgus, district; see pag- in Indo-European roots.