The definition of a worker is a person or animal that performs a specific or necessary task or who completes tasks in a certain way.noun
- A person who works in a store is an example of a retail worker.
- A person who works diligently on his homework for hours a day is an example of a hard worker.
- A bee who is responsible for building the nest is an example of a worker bee.
- a person, animal, or thing that works; specif., a person who is employed to do physical or mental work for wages, esp. in order to earn a living, as in a trade, industry, business, office, etc. or on a farm, ranch, etc.
- a person who works for a cause, organization, etc.: volunteer workers, a party worker
- any of a class of sterile or sexually imperfect ants, bees, wasps, etc. that do work for the colony: with the exception of termites, workers are normally females
- Printing an electrotype used to print from, as distinguished from one used as a mold for making duplicate electrotypes
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. One who works at a particular occupation or activity: an office worker.b. One who does manual or industrial labor.
- A member of the working class.
- A member of a colony of social insects such as ants, bees, wasps, or termites, usually a sterile female but often a sexually immature individual of either sex, that performs specialized work such as building the nest, collecting and storing food, and feeding other members of the colony.