As a preventive measure, the patient scheduled a doctor's visit to get the flu vaccine.
- The definition of preventive is something done to try to prevent an illness or undesirable outcome.
Going to visit the doctor when you are healthy to get a checkup is an example of preventive care.
- Preventive is defined as a medicine or treatment designed to prevent disease or something from happening.
A vaccine to prevent you from getting the flu is an example of a preventive.
- Intended or used to prevent or hinder; acting as an obstacle: preventive measures.
- Carried out to deter expected aggression by hostile forces.
- Preventing or slowing the course of an illness or disease; prophylactic: preventive medicine; preventive health care.
- Something that prevents; an obstacle.
- Something that prevents or slows the course of an illness or disease.
(comparative more preventive, superlative most preventive)
- Many speakers prefer to use preventive in adjective senses and preventative in noun senses.