- The definition of tractable is someone or something easy to manage, control or handle.
An example of tractable is the Windows operating system.
- easily managed, taught, or controlled; docile; compliant
- easily worked; malleable
Origin of tractableClassical Latin tractabilis ; from tractare, to drag, haul, frequentative of trahere, to draw
- Easily managed or controlled; governable.
- Easily handled or worked; malleable.
Origin of tractableLatin tractābilis, from tractāre, to manage, frequentative of trahere, to draw.
- trac′ta·bil′i·ty, trac′ta·ble·ness
(comparative more tractable, superlative most tractable)
- Capable of being easily led, taught, or managed; docile; manageable; governable.
- Capable of being shaped; malleable.
- (mathematics) Sufficiently operationalizable or useful to allow a mathematical calculation to proceed toward a solution.
- (computer science) Of a decision problem, algorithmically solvable fast enough to be practically relevant, typically in polynomial time.
From Latin tractÄbilis (â€œthat may be touched, handled, or managedâ€), from tractÅ (â€œtake in hand, handle, manageâ€), frequentative of trahÅ (â€œdrawâ€).