- The definition of tractable is someone or something easy to manage, control or handle.
An example of tractable is the Windows operating system.
- easily managed, taught, or controlled; docile; compliant
- easily worked; malleable
Origin of tractableClassical Latin tractabilis ; from tractare, to drag, haul, frequentative of trahere, to draw
- Easily managed or controlled; governable.
- Easily handled or worked; malleable.
Origin of tractableLatin tractābilis, from tractāre, to manage, frequentative of trahere, to draw.
- trac′ta·bil′i·ty, trac′ta·ble·ness
(comparative more tractable, superlative most tractable)
- Capable of being easily led, taught, or managed; docile; manageable; governable.
- Capable of being shaped; malleable.
- (mathematics) Sufficiently operationalizable or useful to allow a mathematical calculation to proceed toward a solution.
- (computer science) Of a decision problem, algorithmically solvable fast enough to be practically relevant, typically in polynomial time.
From Latin tractābilis (“that may be touched, handled, or managed”), from tractō (“take in hand, handle, manage”), frequentative of trahō (“draw”).