- Polynomial is defined as something related to a mathematical formula or expression with several algebraic terms.
An example of a mathematical expression that would be described as a polynomial is the formula 2x² + 4x³ + 3
- The definition of a polynomial is a mathematical formula or expression with several algebraic terms.
An example of a polynomial is the mathematical expression 2x² + 4x³ + 3
polynomial definition by Webster's New World
- Algebra a linear combination of products of integral powers of a given set of variables, with constant coefficients (Ex.: x + 3x + 2 or x - 2xy + y)
- Biol. a species or subspecies name consisting of more than two terms
Origin: poly- plush (bi)nomial
polynomial definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A taxonomic designation consisting of more than two terms.
- Mathematics a. An algebraic expression consisting of one or more summed terms, each term consisting of a constant multiplier and one or more variables raised to integral powers. For example, x2 - 5x + 6 and 2p3q + y are polynomials. Also called multinomial.b. An expression of two or more terms.
Origin: poly- + (bi)nomial.
polynomial - Science Definition