- The definition of docile is defined as a passive person or thing.
An example of docile is a Guinea pig.
Guinea pigs are thought to be docile.
docile definition by Webster's New World
- Now Rare easy to teach; teachable
- easy to manage or discipline; submissive
Origin: French ; from Classical Latin docilis, easily taught ; from docere, to teach: see decent
docile definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Ready and willing to be taught; teachable.
- Yielding to supervision, direction, or management; tractable.
Origin: Latin docilis, from docēre, to teach; see dek- in Indo-European roots.
- docˈile·ly adverb
- do·cilˈi·ty noun