- An example of a pliable tool is a rubber spatula.
- An example of a pliable person is someone changing their mind about where they want to eat after very little urging from other people.
The definition of pliable is a person or thing that bends or is easily influenced.
- easily bent or molded; flexible
- easily influenced or persuaded; tractable
- adjusting readily; adaptable
Origin of pliableLate Middle English plyable ; from Middle French ; from plier, to bend, fold ; from Classical Latin plicare, to fold, bend: see ply
- Easily bent or shaped. See Synonyms at malleable.
- Capable of being changed or adjusted to meet particular or varied needs: a pliable policy.
- Easily influenced, persuaded, or controlled: replaced the complainer with a more pliable subordinate.
Origin of pliableMiddle English, from Old French, from plier, to bend; see pliant.
- pli′a·bil′i·ty, pli′a·ble·ness
(comparative more pliable, superlative most pliable)