- The definition of pliable is a person or thing that bends or is easily influenced.
- An example of a pliable tool is a rubber spatula.
- An example of a pliable person is someone changing their mind about where they want to eat after very little urging from other people.
pliable definition by Webster's New World
- easily bent or molded; flexible
- easily influenced or persuaded; tractable
- adjusting readily; adaptable
Origin: Late Middle English plyable ; from Middle French ; from plier, to bend, fold ; from Classical Latin plicare, to fold, bend: see ply
pliable definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Easily bent or shaped. See Synonyms at malleable.
- Receptive to change; adaptable: pliable attitudes.
- Easily influenced, persuaded, or swayed; tractable.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from plier, to bend; see pliant.
- pliˌa·bilˈi·ty, pliˈa·ble·ness noun
- pliˈa·bly adverb