- The definition of pliant is something pliable or that can be molded and shaped.
A lump of clay is an example of something that would be described as pliant.
pliant definition by Webster's New World
- easily bent; pliable
- adaptable or compliant
Origin: Middle English plyande ; from Middle French present participle of plier: see pliable
pliant definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Easily bent or flexed; pliable. See Synonyms at malleable.
- Easily altered or modified to fit conditions; adaptable.
- Yielding readily to influence or domination; compliant.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, present participle of plier, to fold, bend, from Latin plicāre; see plek- in Indo-European roots.
- pliˈan·cy, pliˈant·ness noun
- pliˈant·ly adverb