The definition of supple is someone or something that bends and moves easily and gracefully.adjective
The fluid and graceful movements of a dancer are an example of something that would be described as supple.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- easily bent or twisted; flexible; pliant
- able to bend and move easily and nimbly; lithe; limber: a supple body
- easily changed or influenced
- adaptable, as to changes: a supple mind
Origin: ME souple < OFr < L supplex, humble, submissive, akin to supplicare: see supplicate
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective sup·pler, sup·plest
- Readily bent; pliant.
- Moving and bending with agility; limber.
- Yielding or changing readily; compliant or adaptable. See Synonyms at flexible.
Origin: Middle English souple, from Old French, from Latin supplex, suppliant; see plāk-1 in Indo-European roots.
- supˈple·ness noun
- supˈply, supˈple·ly adverb