- The definition of perverse is deliberately behaving badly or improperly, despite knowing that your actions are likely to have bad consequences.
An example of perverse is when you disobey your mother even as you know she is watching you disobey her direct order.
- deviating from what is considered right or good; wrong, improper, etc. or corrupt, wicked, etc.; perverted
- persisting in error or fault; stubbornly contrary
- obstinately disobedient or difficult; intractable
- characterized by or resulting from obstinacy or contrariness
Origin: Middle English pervers from Old French from Classical Latin perversus, past participle of pervertere: see pervert
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Directed away from what is right or good; perverted.
- Obstinately persisting in an error or fault; wrongly self-willed or stubborn.
- a. Marked by a disposition to oppose and contradict.b. Arising from such a disposition.
- Cranky; peevish.
Origin: Middle English pervers, from Old French, from Latin perversus, past participle of pervertere, to pervert; see pervert.
- per·verseˈly adverb
- per·verseˈness noun