The definition of contrariwise is being done or seen in an opposite way.adverb
- An example of contrariwise is how the group started to move to the right after having gone to the left.
- An example of contrariwise is how the ad agency chose to look at changing the campaign proposal.
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- on the contrary; from the opposite point of view
- in the opposite way; in a reversed order, direction, etc.
Origin: ME < contrary + -wise
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- From a contrasting point of view.
- In the opposite way or reverse order.
- In a perverse manner.