- The definition of consideration is careful thought or attention or compassionate regard for someone or something.
- An example of consideration is someone deciding between two options for dinner.
- An example of consideration is someone bringing a friend dinner who just had a baby.
consideration definition by Webster's New World
- the act of considering; careful thought or attention; deliberation
- thoughtful or sympathetic regard for others
- something that is, or should be, considered, as in making a decision
- a thought or opinion produced by considering
- regard; esteem; importance
- a recompense, as for a service rendered; fee; compensation
- Law something of value given or done in exchange for something of value given or done by another, in order to make a binding contract; inducement for a contract
Origin: Middle English consideracioun ; from Classical Latin consideratio
consideration definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Careful thought; deliberation: We will give your proposal consideration.b. A result of considering; an opinion or a judgment: Is it your consideration that I should apply?
- A factor to be considered in forming a judgment or decision: Safety is the most important consideration in choosing a car.
- A treatment or account: The essay begins with a brief consideration of the history of the problem.
- Thoughtful concern for others; solicitude.
- High regard; esteem.
- Payment given in exchange for a service rendered; recompense: agreed to do it for a small consideration.
- Law Something promised, given, or done that has the effect of making an agreement a legally enforceable contract.
consideration - Business Definition
- Something of value provided by one party to another. For example, a person might provide an idea or labor to a business in exchange for shares of ownership.
- Payments made to an insurance company for the purchase of an annuity.
consideration - Investment & Finance Definition
consideration - Legal Definition
consideration - Phrases/Idioms
in consideration of
- because of
- in return for
on no consideration
take into consideration
in consideration of
- In view of; on account of: turned back in consideration of the worsening weather.
- In return for: an honorarium given in consideration of her contributions to the project.