- An example of a symphony is Beethoven's Symphony No. 5.
- An example of a symphony is a quilt made out of beautifully matching colors.
- harmony of sounds, esp. of instruments
- harmony of any kind, esp. of color
- anything, as a picture, characterized by harmonious composition
- an extended composition for full orchestra, usually having several movements
- Historical an instrumental passage in a composition that is largely vocal or choral
- symphony orchestra
- Informal a concert by a symphony orchestra
Origin of symphonyMiddle English symfonye ; from Old French simphonie ; from Classical Latin symphonia ; from Classical Greek symph?nia ; from syn-, together + ph?n?, a sound: see phono-
- Music a. An extended piece in three or more movements for symphony orchestra.b. An instrumental passage in a vocal or choral composition.c. An instrumental overture or interlude, as in early opera.
- Music a. A symphony orchestra.b. An orchestral concert.
- Harmony, especially of sound or color.
- Something characterized by a harmonious combination of elements.
Origin of symphonyMiddle English symphonye, harmony, from Old French symphonie, from Latin symphōnia, from Greek sumphōniā, from sumphōnos, harmonious : sun-, syn- + phōnē, sound; see bhā-2 in Indo-European roots.
From Ancient Greek ÏƒÏ…Î¼Ï†Ï‰Î½Î¯Î± (sumphÅnia).
symphony - Computer Definition
(2) One of the first integrated software packages for the PC running under the DOS operating system. Developed by Lotus, it included word processing, database, spreadsheet, business graphics, communications and a macro language. It was similar in purpose to the Lotus Symphony office suite introduced decades later (see Lotus Symphony).
(3) An earlier wireless LAN family from Proxim, Inc., San Jose, CA (www.proxim.com) that transmitted 1.6 Mbps in the unlicensed 2.4 GHz band. Symphony was geared for the home and small office and covered an indoor range up to 150 feet and 10 computers. Symphony supported laptops fitted with Proxim's RangeLAN2 cards, but did not support roaming. See RangeLAN and wireless LAN.