- The definition of countenance is the look on a face that shows expression.
An example of countenance is wide eyes and a bright smile indicating joy.
A joyful countenance.
countenance definition by Webster's New World
- the look on a person's face that shows one's nature or feelings
- the face; facial features; visage
- a look of approval on the face
- approval; support; sanction
- calm control; composure
- the way a thing looks; appearance
- false appearance
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French contenance, bearing, conduct ; from Classical Latin continentia, literally , way one holds oneself, restraint ; from continere: see contain
countenance definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Appearance, especially the expression of the face: The question left him with a puzzled countenance.
- The face or facial features.
- a. A look or expression indicative of encouragement or of moral support.b. Support or approval.
- Obsolete Bearing; demeanor.
Origin: Middle English contenaunce, from Old French, from contenir, to behave; see contain.
- counˈte·nanc·er noun
countenance - Phrases/Idioms
put out of countenanceor stare out of countenance